Sharing my story, open to advice

Hi, my boyfriend (23) broke up with me (24) four months ago. We were together for 1.5 years.

The evening of the breakup was quite messy for both of us. We were both crying, he said he doesn’t know what he wants right now, that I’m a great person and that if I ever need someone to talk to (since I’m going through a rough time), he’s here for me. He apologized for hurting me. I asked if we want to take a break instead, he said he doesn’t believe in breaks, either it’s over or not. His last words before he left my apartment were “I love you”. I was desperate that evening, spamming him with messages, crying into voice messages, telling him I would do everything for him to take me back. He said he doesn’t know what he wants right now, that he won’t answer my messages tonight, and once again apologized. I stopped messaging him. Two days later he messaged me again, saying he still does not know if it was the right decision, only that the past two days he’s been feeling better. I told him that maybe we both need some time apart to sort our feelings, or that at least I need that, since I’ve decided to work on my confidence and communication style. Over the next few weeks we were only talking about organizational stuff like returning belongings. It all happened polite and respectfully.

Three weeks after no contact I asked him to reconsider. I apologized for not properly listening to him in the relationship when he was hurt by my behavior and that I’m sorry if it felt like I didn’t respect him. He accepted my apology but said he’s not interested in rekindling the relationship. He’s currently studying for his final exams, which he will write in 1.5 years and does not want to be thrown off balance again. I said I respect that decision and backed off.

Fast forward to 60 days of NC later, I reached out again. I said I wasn’t at a good place mentally back then and I thanked him for supporting me in these difficult times. I asked how he’s been and that I simply missed talking to him, but I’m fine if he doesn’t want that. His answer has been warm and positive, saying how happy he is now that I can handle these things on my own, that he gladly supported me back then and that he sometimes misses me too. We started messaging each other almost daily, immediately switching back to our old banter, talking about our day, even sending pictures of each other sometimes. We met up in person once and it felt just as easy as texting.

Afterwards he asked for my intentions. I said a part of me still hopes for a second chance but I respect his no and that I simply reached out because I wanted to see where this would go, if we could become friends again or maybe even more. After all, there was a time where we saw each other not just as partners but also as best friends. I also said that I’m fine with whatever our dynamic will turn out to be, since I’m at peace with myself now.

He answered that he still is not interested in a relationship with me, that after we broke up he closed the chapter and moved on. But talking to me made him realize he still feels attracted to me. He couldn’t imagine us just staying friends and trying to keep it platonic would only throw him off balance, he enjoys his peaceful life right now and that he needs to focus on his final exams, but he’s happy that I’m doing much better now. He instead suggested a friends with benefits situation. I declined as this is against my personal values. He accepted it but also said that it’s best for his own mental health to stop talking and meeting up then.

We haven’t talked since then. One day later I’ve downloaded a dating app again and saw his profile, where he explicitly stated he’s only interested in relationships, not something casual. Seeing that hurt so much.

I’ve spent the past months working a lot on myself. My depression and social anxiety are gone, I’ve learned to handle my abusive mother by myself. I went from having just one friend to having over a dozen. I’ve started new hobbies and met new people this way. My uni grades are better than ever. And I’ve worked a lot on developing a healthy communication style. Whenever my ex and I were talking after the breakup, we were polite and respectful, always respecting the other’s boundaries and communicating openly. I’ve been on a few dates over the past months and am now actively dating again.

But I still miss him and want him back. I know things wouldn’t be the same if we tried again, why can’t he see that? Is there any chance we still can get together?

Side note: We both go to the same weekly open ballroom dance night which will return from its summer break in a few weeks.

Hi Vic,

First of all, thank you for participating in the forum and helping other people. It can mean a lot to someone going through a breakup alone and looking for advice. It also helps other people who are reading the forums looking for similar stories.

I am sorry that I am getting to your post after so long. I am not very active on this forum and I hope that it will pick up and with enough users helping each other, there will be an active community.

I think you handled the breakup and everything after it beautifully. You gave him space, worked on yourself. When you reached out, you did it from a place of acceptance. And you were polite, honest and respectful throughout.

I think a part of him is still very afraid that things will go back to the same old patterns as before. And with an important exam coming up, there is a chance he won’t want a relationship until then.

I know that his dating profile says he is looking for a serious relationship, but there is a chance he may not be using it at all.

But regardless of where he is at, I think you should also be skeptical of reconciliation with him. You have changed a lot and made a lot of improvements in your life, but has he? In my experience, there is usually an equal amount of contribution to the relationship problem from both partners.

In your case, my guess is that you had anxious attachment patterns and he had avoidant attachment patterns. While you have learnt to communicate better, there is a good chance that he has not done so. If he continues his avoidant patterns, you may start feeling anxious in the relationship again.

It’s something worth thinking about if you have not already thought about it.

Other than that, he may change his mind in the future, after his exams or when he finds out that you are truly moving on and starting to date someone else.

But whatever happens, I think you will make a healthy choice for yourself because I can see you have a growth mindset.

Hi Kevin,

First of all thank you for your kind words. I found some joy spending some time in this forum every now and then.

He and I are still no contact, when we sometimes run into each other we greet each other politely (or friendly from my side) and that’s it. I haven’t seen him at the dance night yet since we broke up, either he or I didn’t go because of our personal schedules.

Funny thing: A few weeks ago I skipped the dance night because I was on a date and had a great time with that person, so I decided to skip the opportunity to see my ex and instead spent more time with my date.

Regarding being sceptical about reconciliation, I agree with you. I’ve changed so much in the past few months, simply because the breakup made me want to finally get my life in order. I don’t know if this “new” me is still compatible with him.

I don’t want to get back into our old relationship. There were things in our relationship that made me feel hurt. Sure, I never communicated that in fear of pushing him away. But there are things “today me” will not accept anymore whatsoever.

My last message to him was “If you ever see me as a person and not just a woman, my door is open.” He knows where I stand. He can go through the door if he wants to, but I won’t stand in the door frame waiting for him.

Life goes on, and if he’s truly interested in me, he will reach out. That’s what I’ve been reminded of again now that I’m back in the dating pool: If a man is truly interested in you, he will put in the effort.

To end this post, I would like to share what my therapist said about my breakup and my immense progress regarding my personal growth: “Not to sound cynical, but sometimes a bad thing has to happen so that a lot of good things can happen.”

2 Likes

I decided to give a little update here and say that I’ve moved on :partying_face:

He’s definitely using his dating profile regularly as he keeps changing pictures or profile texts. I was checking his profile out every now and then over the past months (against what’s recommend during NC, I know).

When I first saw his profile it said among other things “We would be a great match if you also prefer open communication instead of bottling everything up”. (The English translation doesn’t carry the tone, let’s just say in my mother’s tongue we have a more aggressive sounding phrase for that.) Well, that text clearly showed he was still hurt from the breakup/our past relationship.

Fast forward to his current profile text. The constant that stayed was that he explicitly mentioned he’s busy preparing for his final exams. But now he not just checked the box for “looking for something serious” but also mentioned it explicitly in his profile.

His exact words were something along the line of “I’m looking for a serious relationship, to make pretty experiences with, someone who makes me feel good and where I can catch a breath”. (It’s difficult to accurately translate it.)

Nowhere in the profile did he mention what he would bring to the table, only what he expects of his partner aka for her to be his healing oasis (or therapist). He’s clearly searching for the feeling only a long-term relationship could bring him and, well, good luck finding this feeling while still being in the beginning of the dating phase with someone.

To come to the point, this made me realize that he’s currently 100% not able to have a healthy relationship. A mature man will know how to find calmness during a stressful life on his own instead of putting a woman in this position and giving her the task of regulating his emotions. And I’m sorry for whichever woman will turn out to land in this position, because I know he’ll discard her soon after his exams are finished by the latest.

As for me, I’ve currently stopped dating others. I’m enjoying single life way too much and doing things on my own without feeling lonely. Maybe next year I will get out in the dating pool again. Right now I realized I don’t have the mental capacity for a partner. I’m too busy with my university performance and working out my childhood trauma in therapy is also taking its toll on me. Additionally, I currently prefer going out with my friends or going on solo-adventures over spending my time with the same person. I’m looking forward to spending the upcoming cozy autumn/christmas/winter season on my own :slight_smile:

Maybe he and I will get back together after his exams, that is, if I’m still single and none of us moved away. However, I doubt he’ll find the time to mature as a person in that time, so maybe we won’t. I still miss his family, they were so very kind people and I would have loved to stay in contact with some of them just because I so very much enjoyed having them in my life. But that’s life, sometimes you have to learn to let go.

I want to thank you, Kevin, for your site. I found it a day after the breakup. In that time I subscribed to the 30-day emails twice and reread the articles countless times. It kept me sane on some of the more difficult days.

TL;DR it took me a little over five months to get over my ex